The Empty Space’s mission is to provide professional quality live theatre to the community of Bakersfield and to create an opportunity for local actors, directors and technicians to work in a creative environment that allows them to express themselves and their artistic ideas while encouraging them to continue to study and improve their craft.
Community involvement and social activism are very important factors in "Setting Theatre Free." Many special performances are held to benefit other non-profits that tie into the theme of a particular piece. Our art gallery frequently holds exhibits benefiting organizations state and nation-wide. The Empty Space often sponsors groups and events held within our community as well. Some recent examples include:
- The Diary of Anne Frank- (United States Holocaust Memorial Museum, Anne Frank Center, USA)
- Dear Harvey- (Bakersfield LGBTQ)
- The Shadow Box- (Ricky's Retreat)
- 8 the Play- (American Foundation for Equal Rights)
- The Vagina Monologues- (V-Day Campaign, The Alliance Against Family Violence and Sexual Assault)
- Next to Normal- (National Alliance on Mental Illness)
- You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown School Supply & Back Pack Drive- (The Bakersfield Boys and Girls Club)
- Of Mice and Men Book Drive- (Reader to Reader, Inc.)
- High Sierra Mustangs Art Show- (High Sierra Wild Horse Sanctuary and Gentling Center)
- Silent All These Years: a Group Art Show benefiting RAINN (Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network).
- Proudly Sponsoring local groups yearly such as the Bakersfield LGBTQ, The Gay & Lesbian Center, Omni Health Fairs, Meet Your Neighbors, Bakersfield Diamond Divas, Tonicism Productions, MeowCo Kitten Rescue, and Golden Valley High School Drama Department.