The Empty Space’s mission is to provide professional quality live theatre to the community of Bakersfield and to create an opportunity for local actors, directors and technicians to work in a creative environment that allows them to express themselves and their artistic ideas while encouraging them to continue to study and improve their craft.
Community & Social Activism
Community involvement and social activism are very important factors in "Setting Theatre Free." Many special performances are held to benefit other non-profits that tie into the theme of a particular piece. Our art gallery frequently holds exhibits benefiting organizations state and nation-wide. The Empty Space often sponsors groups and events held within our community as well. Some recent examples include:
- The Diary of Anne Frank- (United States Holocaust Memorial Museum, Anne Frank Center, USA)
- Dear Harvey- (Bakersfield LGBTQ)
- The Shadow Box- (Ricky's Retreat)
- 8 the Play- (American Foundation for Equal Rights)
- The Vagina Monologues- (V-Day Campaign, The Alliance Against Family Violence and Sexual Assault)
- Next to Normal- (National Alliance on Mental Illness)
- You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown School Supply & Back Pack Drive- (The Bakersfield Boys and Girls Club)
- Of Mice and Men Book Drive- (Reader to Reader, Inc.)
- The Two Gentlemen of Verona Pet Food Drive (Bakersfield Pet Food Pantry and the SPCA)
- High Sierra Mustangs Art Show- (High Sierra Wild Horse Sanctuary and Gentling Center)
- Silent All These Years: a Group Art Show benefiting RAINN (Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network).
- Geometrix: A South High Accelerated Math Project (South High School AP Calculus Class)
- Proudly Sponsoring local groups yearly such as the Bakersfield LGBTQ, The Gay & Lesbian Center, Omni Health Fairs, Bakersfield Diamond Divas, Tonicism Productions, MeowCo Kitten Rescue, and Golden Valley High School Drama Department.